A cradle of many civilisations throughout history, products of Cyprus reflect a rich heritage. Despite the small scale of the island, the rising popularity of Cyprus products and increasing demand, both from local and international markets, has led producers in the northern part of Cyprus to develop high quality local produce.
Dairy products, agro-industry & food processing, beverages, and construction related materials are among the key local sectors in the northern part of Cyprus.
One of the most popular local products is walnut “macun” (madjun), a unique type of candied delicacy made from fresh walnut, which is popularly served with a glass of water. (Serving guests candied fruits, lemonade and coffee is a traditional display of hospitality in Cyprus. Other common fruit madjuns are made from bitter orange, bergamot orange, grapes, water melon, squash, figs, etc.).
General local products (products manufactured in Cyprus that may also be found elsewhere) include sweets/confectionary (chocolate, marzipan), fruit juices, textiles, plastic products, detergents, etc. Regional products (products that show regional or cultural similarities with neighbouring countries and communities) include Turkish delight/”lokum”, helva, jams and candied sweets (thorn apple preserves, candied bergamot peel), carob syrup, honey, lemonade, black olives, prickly pear, Turkish coffee, ekmek kadayıfı, wine, organic olive oil soaps, ‘pastelli” (sesame molasses candy) etc.
Local products unique to the island or to the Turkish Cypriot community include:
- Traditional Dairy products: “Hellim/Halloumi”, “talar”, “nor/anari” cheese, Cyprus “tarhana/ trahana”
- Traditional Sweets: walnut madjun (candied fresh walnuts), sadrazam “sujouk”, Cyprus grape “sujouk” (a sweet confection consisting of nuts coated with a rubbery paste made of grape molasses), “köfter”, etc.
- Meat and deli products: “Şeftali kebab”, “Samarella”
- Olive products: “Çakıstes” (cracked green Cyprus olives) and Cyprus olive oil
- Spirits: “Zivania” (grape distillation), “Komandaria” (sweet wine)
- Agricultural products: Verigo grapes
- Other: “Pilavuna”, “molohiya”, etc.
Required Quality Standards
- Food Sector: ISO 22000, HACCP
- Construction: CE or TSE
- Concrete and concrete products: EN 206, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001
- Market Mapping on TCc Processed Food Industry and Eco-Tourism
- Handbook for Meat Producers and Traders on EU Food Safety and Hygiene Standards (TR)– SECOND PROJECT
- Handbook for Dairy Producers and Traders on EU Food Safety and Hygiene Standards (TR)– SECOND PROJECT
- Handbook for Bakery Producers and Traders on EU Food Safety and Hygiene Standards (TR)– SECOND PROJECT
- Clean and Safe Kitchen Programme Training Materials (TR)– SECOND PROJECT
- Handbook for Restauranteurs and Food Services SMEs on Food Safety and Hygiene Standards (TR) – SECOND PROJECT
- Cyprus Turkish Chamber of Industry – www.kibso.org
- Turkish Cypriot Chamber of Commerce – www.ktto.net
- Turkish Cypriot Chamber of Shopkeepers and Artisans – www.ktezo.org
- Cyprus Producers Network – www.cpnnet.net
- Products of the northern part of Cyprus – www.kuzeykibrisurunu.org
- European Commission DG Health and Consumers (DG SANCO) http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/health_consumer/index_en.htm
- European Commission DG Health and Consumers/ Food Safety in Europe – http://ec.europa.eu/food/food/index_en.htm
- EU Consumers Health and Food Executive Agency – http://ec.europa.eu/chafea/index.html
- DG ENTERPRISE: EDEN (European Destinations of Excellence): http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/tourism/eden/themes-destinations/countries/cyprus/agros/index_en.htm